August 4, 2006, Newsletter Issue #26: "Alternative" Education: GI Bill Friendly!

Tip of the Week

Veterans who want degrees from institutions such as DeVry University or the NASCAR Technical Institute may use GI Bill money to pay for their schooling. In some schools, including DeVry University, you may be eligible to enroll for classes right after basic training-- according to the university.

If you are still in the military, wanting to use your Montgomery GI Bill benefits while on active duty, be certain to check with your commander before committing to any coursework. Some career fields have strict rules concerning off-duty education for people who are in their first year of service, and your supervisor must be informed, regardless.

For those no longer on active duty, getting your MGIB benefits for an institution like NASCAR Technical Institute is much the same as any four-year school. Remember to make several copies of your discharge paperwork (DD214) to submit with your GI Bill application, and be sure to check with your school before sending; some prefer to submit Montgomery GI Bill paperwork via the institution.

A 'certified' copy of your DD214 sent along with your MGIB form will help expedite the process, regardless of how it is sent. Check with your last base orderly room, First Sergeant or Personnel Specialist to learn how to get additional 'certified' copies.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Military Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
William Pirraglia